A perfect steak can be a work of art. Steak has become a national food of sorts, since people enjoy making the steak. If you have ever cooked for guests, chances are that you have wanted to master the art of cooking the perfect steak.
Of course, there are some recipes that you could follow and some shopping tips as well. But there is one thing that has to come from you- you have to enjoy the process of cooking the steak. The kind of love that goes into making the steak can make a lot of difference!
Steak is quite expensive, which is why it is one of the most notorious things to cook at home. Under cooking or overcooking a steak would be wasting a lot of money. But think about it this way– it is certainly more expensive when you order steak when you are out for dinner. You might as well just buy some steak from the market and cook it up yourself!
You have to keep in mind that the steak has to be absolutely perfect. When buying the steak, pick up meat from the highest grade of meat you can afford. Prime Aged Beef tastes amazing and it is widely available as well.
The steak that you have picked out must be firm to touch and have a really fine texture. The perfect steak, at this point, should be a dark ruby red. Anything lighter has likely not been aged properly and may be loaded with nitrates.
It would certainly be better for you to get steaks that have some marbling on them, as that fat melts during cooking, making the meat moist and giving it a wonderful flavor.
Once you have bought the steak, you have to allow it to reach room temperature before you start cooking it. Keeping the cold steak at room temperature will make the meat soften before you cook it. Depending on the size of the steak you have bought, you might have to leave it out for 30-60 minutes before you start cooking.
Cooking the steaks in an oven
As a preparatory step, dry the steaks completely by patting them with tissues or paper towels. It is perfect for cooking only when it is completely dry. Do not salt your steaks before you start cooking, for it would re-moisturize it. You should only pre-salt the meat if you are planning on keeping the steak for a few hours or a day before cooking.
The best part about cooking steak is that the options are limitless. You can cook steak any way you want, depending on how you like your steak.
· Pat dry the steak as much as you can .
· Preheat the oven to 450-500 F (if you want to caramelize the steak) or 275 F if you want to sear it.
· Once the oven is heated, you can put the steak on the pan (it would be best if it were cast iron) and heat this pan on the stove for a few minutes. Once it’s done, you can just put the steak in a pan and let it sit there for 3 minutes. Let it smoke as much as possible. Now that the steak is fully done, you will be able to remove it from the pan without it sticking to the surface. At this point, flip the steak and let it heat for another 3 minutes. After this is done, put the steak in the oven and let it bake for a few minutes till it is done.
· If you are searing the oven, put the steak directly in the oven and let it bake till the oven temperature boils to 100-110 F. Once it is baked, take a pan and heat it up with a little oil. Wait for the smoke to come out, drop the steak in the pan for two minutes and you are done.
These are the two ways of getting the best steak for people who do not own a barbecue grill.
There is nothing better than cooking steak outdoors, over a grill. Grilling is pretty much like art– it is tough to master, but once you have mastered it, there is nothing like it! If you are interested in barbecuing steak, you would need a grill, of course. There are tonnes of gas and charcoal grills in the market- you can buy any one of these, depending on your budget and interests. Gas grills are easy to maintain, but charcoal grills provide the traditional smoked flavor to the meat.
This is how you cook steak on a grill
· Wait for the grill to completely heat up- the steak will not taste as good or stay as moist if you just put it on a cold grill. You can check if the grill has reached high heat by touching it(carefully) – if you can’t touch it for more 4- 5 seconds, it is time to start cooking..
· Place the dry steak on the grill once it has been seasoned. Let the steak sit there without turning for around 3 minutes (for 1-inch steaks. The thicker the steak, the longer it has to sit).
· Flip after 3 minutes and let the other side get cooked. Keep doing this till the steak is done cooking the way you want it to be cooked.